Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Step by Step Layout Tutorial by Guest Designer Tracy Funk

Guest Designer Tracy Funk is featuring our November Limited Edition Kit today with a step by step layout tutorial!

--------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen


This was the first layout I made from the November Limited Edition Kit.  For this layout, I layered 3 pieces of paper from the kit.  When I trimmed the top layer, I left the floral corner uncut.


I then trimmed around some of the floral pattern with an x-acto knife in order to slide the right side of the photo underneath.  I decided I didn't like the look of the 2 flower buds over the photo and ended up trimming those off later.



To add some texture, I used molding paste with a stencil from my collection (Prima 6x6 stencil - Lattice), then sprayed over those areas with brown and green mists (Lindy's Flat Fabio mists - Aloha Avocado and South Shore Sand).  For a more subtle effect I sprayed those areas with water first and after applying the colour, dabbed off the excess with a paper towel.



Around the center area of stencilling I cut out a thin frame using a ruler and utility knife, then distressed the edges of the frame, the photo and outer edges of the 2 top paper layers.  Before gluing the layers onto a plain piece of cardstock, I cut out the center portions of the 2 lower layers to use later.  I ended up putting some of that back behind the cut out frame (initially I was going to use a different colour behind it but decided I liked the red better).  I then inked around the edges of the framed area, the outer edges of the top 2 paper layers and the photo with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink.  For the hard to reach areas I used a craft nib to apply the ink.




I used the paper cut out from the centers of the 2 lower layers to make the fans, cutting it into strips, and scoring them at 1/4" intervals to get nice crisp folds.  After folding, I glued 2 strips together to make the larger fan and then glued each end to a craft stick cut to the appropriate length (you can also use a popsicle stick split in half). I then pressed the arch inward, adhering this part with hot glue.  I snipped the bottom of the white lace from the kit to make it easier to arch then glued it onto the fan and covered the messy looking part with a medallion sticker from the kit.  For the smaller fans I used half a medallion sticker. The lace wouldn't sit very flat so I put tiny dabs of glue under the exposed edge to keep it down.




I added a few random touches of green to the paper with a watercolour pencil, then brushed over them with water.



All the flowers I used are included in the kit.  I lightly dry brushed white paint over all of them except the larger red rose.  The bright yellow flower with the stamen center was pulled apart from a larger flower in the kit. I trimmed off the long ends of the stamens sticking out the back and re-glued the back to keep the stamens from falling out.


The butterfly sticker, metal chair, cross (I modified this with some tin snips) and the rhinestone corner flourish are all from the kit.  I inked around the edge of the butterfly and lightly wiped some green ink onto the metal embellishments.  The photo was glued to a piece of plain chipboard to keep it laying flat over the lumpy background.  I also added some cheesecloth underneath the flowers, dabbing it with a brush dipped in the green mist used earlier. Then it was just a matter of gluing everything down.

Here are some close-ups.




Thanks for looking.  Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

--------------------

You can see more of Tracy's beautiful work in our Design Team Gallery!

Here's the November Limited Edition Kit:

We invite you to join us and experience the possibilities that our coordinated monthly kits offer. To purchase a kit, please visit our website, here.

2 comments:

Mycreativescrapbook said...

Fantastic page Tracy , I love your designs .. thank you

Janet G said...

Wow! I love this page and tutorial ... So many great ideas and techniques! Thanks for sharing !